Saturday, April 7, 2018

Young Adult, New Adult and Graphic Novels: Who are they for?

I, personally, don't really like YA novels, only because I find them a little too simplistic for my tastes.  However, I didn't think for a minute that this was the overall consensus.  Especially after the Harry Potter, Hunger Games and Twilight crazes.  Whoever says that adults don't read young adult fiction are not looking around.  I've even noticed since I started graduate school that many of my classmates list YA fiction as their favorite genre to read.  At my library, many adults ask for YA titles.  I get it.  Like Flanagan said in the Atlantic article, people are nostalgic for their young adult experiences.  It's interesting to read about situations that once flummoxed us as kids from an adult perspective.  And, many adults just want the simple, straightforward storytelling that YA and NA deliver.

As librarians, we are intrinsically supposed to respect all categories of books for all categories of book readers.  So, should we include YA, NA and graphic novels along with adult fiction promotions?  Yes.  When I think of the perfect display, it would include all representations of the subject or theme: adult, YA, NA, children's, non-fiction, DVDs, audio books, graphic novels, CDs, board games, or anything else that sparks interest and further informs.  Also, a display in the adult area of YA and NA titles that might interest is a great way of informing those who are unaware of this popular and provocative genre.

If I may play devil's advocate for a moment, though.  I wonder if displaying the YA and NA fiction so prominently will introduce the books to conservative or fearful parents who were unaware that such explicit material is available to their sacred offspring?  It's hard even for me as a rather liberal parent to think of my teenager reading books with sex scenes, even though I read them myself as a youngster.  So, I'm thinking of the...what do I call them..."less than liberal" parents who are perusing the display of books that should be geared towards young adults, picking up one of the Gossip Girl books and landing on a page with a sex scene in a Bergdorf's changing room. Or what about that graphic novel Sex Criminals?  We have that in our library, and it's in the Young Adult area!  I'm imagining a Tipper Gore type revolution against the filth that is being distributed to our young people.  Do we hide the YA/NA books, then?  No, but there is something to be said about everything in it's place, and a place for everything!  Although it creeps me out that my daughter might be reading this, I fully respect her right to do so.  I would hate to see that right be eroded by people who don't feel the same way.

1 comment:

  1. You're the only person to bring up that point! It's very valid. We house Sex Criminals with the adult graphic novels and we STILL got a challenge request about it! (we kept the book, much to the patron's chagrin) It's a slippery slope sometimes. Great job discussing a potential issue that no else did! Full points!

    ReplyDelete