Sunday, February 18, 2018

Week Six Prompt

I've worked at my library for 12 years and I've been going to libraries for well over 40 years.  I've never heard of the gentle reads genre!  It's possible I didn't notice because I wouldn't read that type of material.  But my point is that I wonder how many other people don't know about it!  I think it would be a great thing to have genre nooks set up throughout the library with displays of books, DVDs, audiobooks, etc, creating passive integrated advisory experiences for all tastes and pleasures (well, maybe not ALL!).  Focusing on the gentle reads display, I'm thinking a cozy scene, complete with a homemade afghan, a coffee cup and maybe some cookies or something to really set the mood.  These extras can be rotated, like picnic baskets and lemonade in the summer, and a leaf pile, a sleepy dog and a blanket for autumn.  We want to have the feel for old-time, traditional and homespun stories.  Then I would rotate gentle read books, large print, audio books, and Lifetime/Hallmark movies.  I would add some non-fiction to reflect the novels on display.  Cookbooks, quilting and sewing books, flower arranging, whatever may be fictionalized in the display books and movies would be great complements.  I would also be sure to display programs we have going on like a knitting group, a book group, or other such things as are written about in the books.  I can think of a great many patrons at our library who would absolutely love this display.  And with the integrated advisory aspect I know that many of them would discover something new!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I like your idea of rotating out props and incorporating other media. Full points!

    ReplyDelete