Friday, February 16, 2018

Gentle Reads Annotation

THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING
By:  Fannie Flagg
Genre:  Gentle Reads

Elmwood Springs, Missouri is the setting for this sweeping tale of community, friendship and family.  It begins in 1889, when Lordor Nordstrom buys property and founds a town.  He marries, builds a thriving dairy business and watches the town grow and prosper with himself as mayor.  But when he dies, something strange happens - he wakes and finds himself in the town cemetery, Still Meadows.  He watches over the town from his new post and is soon joined by family and friends who lived in the town and passed away.  We witness the town's evolution throughout the years and get to know the quirky and kind residents and their families who live through history in Elmwood Springs right up until 2020.  As the residents of Still Meadows cemetery observe and exclaim over the town's rise and fall through the years, they begin disappearing one by one to a surprising but marvelous place.

Appeal Factors

Tone:  Homespun - This is a quiet tale of home, family and community
Pace: Leisurely, comforting
Writing style:  Engaging; very few swear words
Storyline: Simple; sweeping; character-driven
Character:  Likable, quirky, relatable 

Read-a-likes

The Persian Pickle Club, by Sandra Dallas:  This is another homespun story of family and community told in a heartwarming storytelling style.

Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series:  These are inspiring stories about a group of women who gather at Lydia Hoffman's yarn shop for knitting circles and work through personal issues and grow from their bonds of friendship.

Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon series:  Garrison Keillor writes with a witty and heartwarming style about a small town and its citizens in Minnesota.

Adriana Trigliani's Big Stone Gap series:  Another series set in a charming and quirky small town in West Virginia focuses on home, family and community.

My Take

This is the quintessential gentle read, an extremely simple storyline, heartwarming characters, old fashioned traditions.  I  think little old people or people that think and act like little old people will really, really like this book.  Myself, I like a solid story arc and intricate plotting.  I was thoroughly bored.  However, those who like gentle reads will appreciate its old-timey vibe.  Also, there were a few swear words, which really surprised me, as this type of book should be profanity free.  There are just a few though, and always appropriately from soldiers or burly men.

4 comments:

  1. Jeannine,

    Wow! This sounds like an intriguing book. I really like how you described the plot because it sounds like a gentle read, yet it has some supernatural aspects of it. It doesn't sound strange like a ghost novel, which is probably how I would end up explaining the book! Since you were thoroughly bored with the novel, would you recommend it to someone (like me) who is new to the gentle reads genre?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a true gentle read. I would recommend it to those who like the genre. I don't know that I would recommend it to a newcomer to gentle reads. I mean, maybe other gentle reads are a little less...boring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannine, I agree with Paige, this book sounds intriguing. I have never read any of Fannie Flagg's books even though I've meant to over the years. Forever ago, WIBC radio in the morning used to have a little taped segment. It was a humorous bit with a comedian like a Bob Newhart or Fannie Flagg....you know, good, clean fun. And I remember Fannie telling a story where she was giving advice to beauty contestants and telling them that if they were ever in the swimsuit competition they should NEVER sit in wicker chairs. I wasn't very old at the time, but that advice has stayed with me for years. Oh, not that I'd be in a beauty pageant, mind you. But I know that when I'm wearing a swimsuit or shorts to stay off the wicker furniture!

    Nice work. I also appreciated your interjecting your personal (and honest) opinion in a separate "My Take" section Great summary of a cute (but thoroughly boring) book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great annotation! Full points! I like your personal take at the end and your comment about swearing made me laugh. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete